This house’s amazingness caught me by surprise! It’s super cute, easy to make, and has many uses, including enrichment, a platform, nest, and hide house! This three story house is awesome for Mice, since they love climbing, but is perfectly fine for Hamsters and Gerbils as well.
The supplies you’ll need are:
- Two boxes, it’s better if they’re the same size.
- A drawing compass/entryway template
- A box/craft knife
- Scissors (optional, just made life easier.)
- Hotglue and gluegun
- Cardboard, any thickness.
These are the items I used to create the exact house shown, you can be creative and edit the origianal design if desired 😃
Take a box, if you have different sizes use the bigger one, and using your template or drawing compass draw a doorway somewhere on the front of it, I chose to do a circle on the right side.
Cut out the door hole. You may have to cut through two layers like I did, but I just:
- Cut out the drawn hole.
- Traced the doorway through the hole.
- Opened the box.
- Cut the other layer which I traced.
On the box you just cut a doorway in:
- Get your template/drawing compass.
- Draw a doorway on the top of the box on the opposite side from where you cut the door hole. I put my door on the front right so this hole went on the top left.
And once the roof hole is cut out the box should look something like this.
- Get your second, untouched box and cut a hole in the top, a corner is best. Before you cut stack this box on top of the other one and make sure you don’t cut the hole above or near the other holes.
- Stack the two boxes, putting the one with two holes on the bottom.
- Cut out a hole in the bottom of the top box that connects the two boxes.
- Measure the width and length of the top box.
- Cut out some strips of hardboard that fit the perimeter of the top box, I made mine two inches tall.
- Glue the two boxes on top of eachother, make sure the holes all line up so your small pet has access to the levels.
- Finally glue the cardboard border onto the top box, this will prevent falls.
And you’re done! The best thing about this house is that you can easily open it to clean it out, as shown above!
I totally recommend this DIY for Hamster, Gerbil, and Mouse owners. These species need to and enjoy chewing, and this house is perfectly safe for them to chew! Beanie enjoys it, and I hope your pets love it too!
If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!
- Put some toys around the house to act as stairs in case your pet wants a different way down; tall wooden toys or long bendy bridges are great.
- Wait until the glue is dry before giving to your pet.
- Paint the interior with a safe sealer to prevent urine damage.
- Scatter feed your seed mix inside for enrichment.
- Use boxes that are only a few inches high unless you want to add ramps inside.
- For easier DIYing use boxes that are flatter and open in the top, this will also prevent it from opening accidentally.