This is the Luxury Hamster Home! I created this one afternoon from a tissue box that was in my way. This house serves as a platform as well as a hidey, and it’s great for hamsters, gerbils and mice.
For this project I used:
- A tissue box
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue
- Mod Podge (a water-based sealer)
- Popsicle sticks
- A few skewers
- A paintbrush
- Craft/box knife
- A marker
Keep in mind these are just the items I used for my version of this house, and that you can always improvise.
- First remove the top section of the box.
- Next cut a doorway into the box; you can do this wherever, but I put mine in what will be the front right corner.
- By personal preference I proceeded to paint the interior with Mod Podge.
This next part is difficult to explain, but with the help of my imagery I hope you get it 🙂
- Next cut some popsicle sticks and glue a border around the corners and edges of the box, as shown above.
- Now cover the top in a layer of popsicle sticks.
- Glue a border around the doorway; I cut the sticks diagonally to look prettier, but whether you cut them this way is totally up to you.
- Now cut some skewers to fit the perimeter of the box; glue them in place.
- Inside of the skewer border I made an inner border of popsicle sticks. As you can see I cut the sticks diagonally (again).
Here’s a random back view of the house so you get a better view of the borders 😄
And here is the final product! This is definitely a creation which takes more time than others, but I’m so happy with the results I don’t mind! The luxurious hidey and platform looks amazing, and using this pretty blue/dotted box also plays into the stylish appearance.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY! If you’ve created it or something similar be sure to comment down below and let me know how it turned out! If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!