Hello and welcome to another DIY tutorial! This week I’m showing you how to make a cute platform and ‘underground’ nest from a small plastic goat cheese tub. I’ve been saving this tub for about a week, brainstorming what I wanted to make with it, until today when I purchased a pack of coffee stirrers. I thought they’d be handy since they’re basically long, skinny popsicle sticks, and I realized they’d be perfect for this project.
For this DIY you’ll need:
- A small plastic tub
- Craft knife
- Coffee stirrers or large popsicle sticks
- A dark marker
- A hot glue gun
- Draw a doorway on the corner of the tub lid. Make sure it’s big enough for your pet to fit through.
- Cut it out with your craft knife.
- Carefully smooth out the edges of the hole with your knife (you could also do this with sandpaper).
How made the coffee stick lid:
- Put a stick where you need it.
- Hold the stick with your fingertips at the position and angle you need to cut it.
- Cut the stick using your fingers as a guideline.
- Put glue on the bottom of the stick.
- Firmly place stick in position.
And that’s how I made the stylish lid, and it was surprisingly easy!
- If there’s extra plastic sticking out from the sticks trim away the plastic with your knife.
- Put glue along the inner edge of the entry hole and use a stick to scrap it into the crevasses. This will make smooth
And the hideout/nest/platform is done! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and that you take the opportunity to reuse similar tubs for your small pets.
What’s really handy about this DIY being plastic is that you can hand wash the base (some tubs are even dishwasher safe) to remove any urine or foul odor!
If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!
Thank you 🙂