Hello and welcome to the DIY (do it yourself) twine carrot tutorial! These are quite common small pet toys, and are available in most pet stores. I used to have one of these toys for Beanie, and she had a great time decimating it. My version is smaller than the ones you’d typically find in stores, but it is also adorable 😍
For this project you’ll need:
- Paper crinkles
- Hot glue
- Toilet paper tube
- Natural twine
- First cut a triangle out of the tube.
- Roll the tube, making the end really tight and letting the other end be loose.
- When you’ve rolled it into a carrot-shape, glue the edge to keep it from unraveling.
- Cut off the extra cardboard sticking off the top.
- Put a dob of glue inside the carrot base, and stuff in paper crinkles.
- Starting by the ‘stem,’ glue twine around (and around and around and around) the cardboard ‘carrot’. Add glue occasionally to prevent the twine from unraveling.
- Trim the paper ‘stem’ to your satisfaction.
And the carrots are complete! Give them to hamsters, gerbils, mice, rabbits, rats, chinchillas, and other small pets so they can fling and chew their little carroty boredom breakers 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Please comment in the ‘Reply’ section down below to share your thoughts or experience recreating this DIY.
If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!